What Happens If You Drink Dish Soap Water?

Dish soaps are used to clean dishes, not to please the tummy. Additionally, it is inedible and harmful to the human body, causing even organ failure. Even the organic dish soaps are not food-grade also.

If you feel hungry, you eat anything edible, but not dish soap. And yes, no one is going to eat that. Now the question is, what happens if you drink dish soap water accidentally?

It sounds funny, but not at all. It may accidentally happen to anyone. And necessary steps should be taken ASAP in these cases.

If you have no idea what to do, stay calm. I am here to turn your “no clue” to “yes”.

Without further ado, let’s get into the circumstances. 

What happens if you drink dish soap water

What happens if you drink dish soap water?

First things first, the question comes: how much dish soap water have you drunk? If you drink a little, you will just feel disgusted with the taste, nothing else.

If you drink too much, that should be a matter of concern. Then the question that comes is: what happens if you drank dish soap?

The following are some of the possible effects:

  • Burns innards
  • Swells throat
  • causes nausea and vomiting
  • passes blood through vomiting or stool
  • Stomach aches
  • causes diarrhea
  • causing breathing difficulties in some cases
  • The liver can be damaged due to excessive workload removing toxic materials

Now, I hope it’s clear that drinking dish soap is not a simple thing to avoid.

Symptoms of soap poisoning

Whether there is soap poisoning or not, some symptoms can be observed. If you have soap poisoning, your blood pressure may be low, your heart rate may drop rapidly, and even your heart may collapse.

Abdominal pain, vomiting, blood passing through vomit or stool, and diarrhea are noticeable symptoms of soap poisoning.

What to do when you drink dish soap water?

It depends on how much and what kind of dish soap you have drunk. Drinking a lot of dish soap that contains powerful chemicals can be life-threatening.

Drink a glass of water straight after to dilute the dish soap water. Call the doctor or go to the nearest hospital immediately.

Check your pulse rate, temperature, breathing, and blood pressure. Do bronchoscopy and endoscopy ASAP according to the doctor’s suggestions.

Remedy of soap poisoning

There are no authentic home remedies for soap poisoning. The whole thing needs medical support. Doctors will do whatever needs to be done according to the age of the person, which type of soap he has drunk, and how much soap he has drunk. Soap poisoning may be cured only by taking the necessary steps in a hospital under the observation of certified doctors.

What happens if you drink a little bit of dish soap?

A little dish soap causes nothing severe except making the stomach upset and irritating the mouth. It causes a little discomfort that may lead to vomiting.

What should I do if my child drinks dishwashing liquid?

Dish Soap To Clean Dishes

First of all, don’t panic. Drinking dishwashing liquid is not the end of life of your child! Sometimes they eat because some dish soap smell good. Let your child drink one glass of water first. If the amount of drinking dish soap is minimal, then don’t worry much.

If your child drinks a lot of dishwashing soap and vomits rapidly, take him to the doctor immediately.

What happens if a child eats soap?

The main concerns are how much soap the child has eaten and how toxic the soap is. It will be less harmful if the amount of dish soap is minimal. It can be more harmful to a child if the quantity is high.

Nausea, vomiting, or severe cases of diarrhea, bleeding through stool, or rapid vomiting will make you think.

Every body part of a baby is more delicate than an adult. If a child eats soap, take the necessary action ASAP before it becomes too late.

How is it possible to drink dish soap water accidentally?

There are no accidents that happen intentionally.

Drinking dish soap water is one of the most awful things to happen. It happens to children mostly.

The accident happens when adults forget to put cleaning products away and children get attracted to the color of the cleaner. They eat this, thinking it is juice.

Sometimes the glass may not have been washed properly, and dish soap sticks to the glass and mixes with the water while someone is drinking.

Sometimes we keep the dish cleaner in another jar, and if anyone thinks that this is juice or something edible, they drink it. Accidents can happen anyway.

Which ingredients are the cause of the toxicity in dish soap?

There are eight chemicals in dish soap that increase the toxicity. These are  SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate)/SLES, formaldehyde, MEA (monoethanolamine), ammonia, phosphates,  DEA (diethanolamine), triclosan, chlorine, (sodium Laureth sulfate), fragrance,, TEA (triethanolamine).

Some popular dish soaps contain these kinds of chemicals, like Dawn dish soap, Ajax dish soap, and Clorox dish soap liquid. They are powerful but contain nothing natural. So you have to be more careful to keep away from others these kinds of dish soap.

Which dish soaps are less harmful to humans?

Some natural dish soaps like Attitude Dishwashing Liquid, Better Life Dish Soap, ECOS Dishmate Dish Liquid, and Cleancult liquid dish soap cause fewer effects if someone drinks any of these.

Apart from this type of natural dishwashing soap, almost all the dish soaps are life-threatening if accidentally drunk.


Can dishwasher soap make you sick?

Yes, but only if you swallow it accidentally, as it’s not food-grade. But it’s harmless while washing dishes. You also can know its helpful for hair or not.

Is it OK to drink water that tastes like soap?

Not at all. It will make your mouth feel disgusting and may cause you to lose appetite.

Is dish soap toxic in water?

Yes. Dish soap contains some harmful chemicals. 1,4-dioxane is one of them. It is a known carcinogen and neurotoxin. It may cause skin, eye, nose, throat, and lung irritation and headaches, even in small amounts. Mixing it with water can’t reduce its toxicity.


Drinking dish soap water is an out-of-the-ordinary fact . So It is important to ensure safety before a question like “what happens if you drink dish soap water?” arises.

Keep dishwashing soap out of the reach of children, or don’t store it in a location where someone might accidentally drink it thinking it’s a juice.

Whether the dish soap is minimally poisonous or not, everyone should be conscious of keeping it away from others.

It is important to take precautionary measures before anything unwanted happens. Precautions are better than cures, isn’t it?

Be alert and avoid these kinds of awful unwanted situations. Also read Why Does My Mouth Taste Like Soap?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

About Us

You certainly can’t believe everything the Internet tells you. Kelvin David knows this better than anyone. A few years ago, Kelvin decided to try online shopping for the first time. He was looking for a new electric drill he could use on his daily work as a contractor.