Sometimes, big objects can fall into the toilet bowl and accidentally being flushed. Things like this happen all the time in homes with small kids. Toddlers love throwing toys, cellphones and other objects to the WC to see them disappear when they push the handle down. So how do you remove objects from toilet trap?
In these cases, you may do two things. The first one is to freak out and call a plumber immediately. The other is taking a deep breath, getting some plumbing tools and getting down to work. If you don’t have enough money to spend on plumbers, the second choice is certainly the best for you.
In this article you’ll learn 3 different ways to remove stuck objects from the toilet trap.
What is Toilet Trap?
A toilet trap, also known as trapway, is an S-shaped tunnel that runs from the hole at the bottom of the bowl to the drainpipe. It has two main functions. The first one is preventing bad odors from escaping. The second one is catching big objects that may clog the drainpipe.
Step by Step Guide to Remove Object from Toilet Trap
Certainly, removing objects from a toilet trap isn’t precisely the most pleasant activity. Only the strong hearted can do it without puking. So, if you don’t have the guts to do it, you better don’t try it. However, if you consider yourself worthy for the job, just follow any of these methods and everything will be fine.
Things you’ll need:
- Rubber gloves
If a portion of the object is still visible at the bottom of the toilet bowl, you may use your hand to grab it and pull it out. To protect your hand from exposure to pathogens, use long and thick rubber gloves. Those yellow rubber gloves that housewives use for dishwashing may work.
Just take a deep breath, think in something happy and look in a different direction while you introduce your hand inside the toilet trap. Once you reach the object, just pull it out to solve the problem.
Things you’ll need:
- Toilet auger
- Toilet paper
If you can’t see the object at the bottom of the toilet bowl, you’ll need to determine if it’s really stuck inside the trap. To do this, make several flushes and check how the water flows. If everything looks normal, make another test to be 100% sure.
For this, throw some toilet paper squares into the bowl and then flush them. If there’s an object stuck in the trap, the toilet paper will accumulate around it and clog the pipe. So, if the toilet doesn’t flush smoothly, there’s certainly something there.
In these cases, it’s recommended to use a toilet auger. These gadgets can hook objects deeply stuck in the toilet trap with no mess. To use them, you just have to follow these steps:
- First of all, form a hook by bending the end of the auger.
- Then, insert the auger into the toilet trap.
- After that, release as much cable as possible to reach the drainpipe.
- Finally, pull the cable out of the toilet while holding its tension. During that process, the end of the auger must hook the object, helping it to move
- Apply method #1 if necessary.
Things you’ll need:
- Work gloves
- Absorbent towels
- Rust remover (optional)
- Teflon tape (optional)
If method #2 fails, you must disassemble the toilet in order to remove the stuck object. This is what you need to do:
- First of all, turn off the water supply. Then, flush the toilet.
- After that, detach the water supply line from the water tank. To do this, unscrew the connecting nut below the tank using a pair of channel locks. Place some towels on the floor to absorb the water that escapes from the tank.
- Then, use a sponge to absorb all the remaining water inside the bowl. Squeeze the sponge inside a plastic bucket.
- After that, remove the plastic cap protecting the flange bolts of the toilet. Then, unscrew the securing nuts. Use rust remover if you can’t remove them easily.
- Then, pull up the toilet and remove the object stuck inside the toilet trap.
- Install the toilet and the water supply line again. Finally, turn on the water supply.
As you can see, you don’t need to call a plumber to remove an object stuck inside the toilet tramp. You just need to learn these 3 methods and have the all required tools and materials at hand. If you carefully follow the valuable tips on this step-by-step guide, you’ll be able to finish the job without trouble.