What Happens If You Accidentally Swallow Laundry Detergent?

Have you ever accidentally swallowed laundry detergent? If so, then be sure that you’re not alone, rather It’s a very common mistake, especially among young children. So, what happens if you accidentally swallow laundry detergent? In most cases, it’s not a big deal and you’ll just have a stomachache. However, in rare cases, it can be more serious.

If you accidentally swallow laundry detergent, it is important to seek medical help immediately as it can be very dangerous. Laundry detergent can contain chemicals that can burn your throat and esophagus, and it can also be toxic if ingested.

If you have any symptoms such as difficulty swallowing, pain in your throat or chest, or vomiting, you should go to the emergency room right away.

In this article, we’ll discuss what happens when you accidentally swallow laundry detergent so that you can be totally informed about it and overcome this problem.

What Happens If You Accidentally Swallow Laundry Detergent?
What Happens If You Accidentally Swallow Laundry Detergent?

Harmful chemicals in laundry detergent

There are a variety of harmful chemicals that may be present in laundry detergent, including:

  • Artificial fragrances
  • Optical brighteners
  • Enzymes
  • Synthetic dyes
  • Synthetic surfactants
  • Phosphates
  • Chlorine bleach

These chemicals can cause a variety of health problems, including allergies, asthma, skin irritation etc. You may be wondering, does laundry detergent cause cancer? Well, laundry detergent contain carcinogens which can cause cancer.

Although such chemicals are added to the laundry detergent in order to improve its performance, they can be detrimental to our health.

If you’re not careful while dealing with laundry detergent, you may also end up inhaling harmful chemicals. Inhaling laundry detergent can cause a number of respiratory problems, including difficulty breathing, coughing, and wheezing. It can also irritate the eyes, nose, and throat.

What happens if you drink cleaning products?

If you drink cleaning products, you will probably vomit and have diarrhea. You may also have trouble breathing and your throat may swell up. Cleaning products contain chemicals that can burn your throat and stomach.

If a small amount is consumed, cleaning products will most likely cause a gagging sensation, high blood pressure, chest pain, and a burn in the esophagus. If a large amount is consumed, it could cause more serious problems such as trouble breathing, swelling of the throat, and chemical burns in the stomach.

In severe cases, drinking cleaning products can be fatal and lead to a coma or even death.

Accidentally ate dish soap when pregnant

Accidentally ate dish soap when pregnant

If you accidentally eat dish soap while pregnant, it’s important to call your doctor or midwife right away. Dish soap can be toxic if ingested, and it’s important to get medical attention.

If you’ve only ingest a small amount of dish soap, you may be able to let it pass through your system without any problems. However, if you’ve ingested a large amount, you may need to be hospitalized for observation.

Your doctor will likely want to do a blood test to check for soap levels in your blood, and they’ll also monitor you and your baby for any signs of distress. In most cases, dish soap is not harmful to a developing baby, but it’s always best to err on the side of caution.

What happens if a child eats soap?

While soap may not be the most toxic substance in the world, it’s definitely not meant to be eaten. Ingesting soap can cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. More serious consequences can include aspiration pneumonia and even death.

What happens if a child eats soap?
What Happens If You Accidentally Swallow Laundry Detergent?

Soap poisoning is actually a huge concern especially in the case of small children who may think that soap is edible. If a child ingests soap, it is important to seek medical attention immediately as they may be at risk for serious health complications.

What to do if child swallowed dishwashing liquid? Time is of the essence when it comes to soap poisoning, as it can cause serious problems in just a short amount of time. If you think your child has eaten soap, call poison control or head to the nearest emergency room right away.

Is dawn dish soap toxic to humans?

You may be wondering, what happens if you accidentally drank dawn dish soap?”.

Down dish soap is not only toxic to humans if it gets ingested, but it is also corrosive. If it gets in your eyes, it will cause irritation and if it gets on your skin, it will cause burning and irritation.

This product is toxic for consumption. Dawn dish soap ingredients ammonia, SLS and other synthetic chemicals can be harmful if ingested. It is also corrosive. So it can cause burns if it comes into contact with your skin or eyes. If you or someone else ingests this product, call poison control immediately.

If you swallow some Dawn dish soap, you’ll get sore lips, swollen throat and gastric distress. Vomiting and diarrhea may also occur. If you have swallowed a lot of dish soap, you may experience difficulty breathing.

Also read: spilled laundry detergent on hardwood floor?

Is dish soap toxic if swallowed?

Yes, dish soap is toxic if swallowed. Dish soaps are made with surfactants that can cause irritation and inflammation if they come into contact with the eyes or skin. If dish soap is swallowed, it can cause adverse effects.

The toxicity of a dish soap depends on the ingredients. Some dish soaps may contain ingredients that are harmful if swallowed, such as Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS). SLS is a surfactant that can cause irritation and inflammation if it comes into contact with the eyes or skin.

Dish soap in food

Grilled vegetables and steak with herbs on white table
What Happens If You Accidentally Swallow Laundry Detergent?

In the rare event that dish soap is accidentally ingested, it is not considered poisonous unless it is consumed at a high amount. However, dish soap is not intended to be eaten, and can cause stomach upset.

Dish soap can get stuck to your dishes and, you may accidentally ingest it while eating. But, if it’s a small amount that is not noticeable, you’ll probably be okay.

It’s best to avoid facing such a situation in the first place. Be careful while washing your dishes and make sure that the dish soap doesn’t get on your food.


What happens if you eat cleaning products?

If you eat cleaning products, you may experience symptoms such as nausea, mouth/throat burns, and gagging sensations. In severe cases, you may also experience seizures, coma, and death. These products are poisonous if ingested.

What Happens If You Accidentally Drank Soapy Water?

If you accidentally drink some soapy water, you’ll most likely vomit and  your stomach might get upset.

Can cleaning supplies be harmful to humans?

Cleaning supplies can be harmful to humans if they are ingested, inhaled, or if they come into contact with the skin or eyes. Some cleaning supplies can cause burns, others may cause respiratory problems, and some may be corrosive.

Can dishwasher detergent residue make you sick?

Yes, dishwasher detergent residue can make you sick if you ingest it. Dishwasher detergent is designed to be corrosive and can cause mouth, throat, and esophageal burns.

What do you do if you ingest bathroom cleaner?

If you ingest bathroom cleaner, you should immediately call poison control or go to the emergency room.

What happens if we drink bathroom cleaning acid?

If you drink bathroom cleaning acid, you may experience symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain.

How toxic is laundry detergent?

Laundry detergents are moderately toxic. And the toxicity caused by a laundry detergent can be fatal only in high doses.

Final Thoughts

In today’s discussion, we’ve tried to answer the burning question, what happens if you accidentally swallow laundry detergent?

As it turns out, this is no laughing matter. Laundry detergent is extremely harmful if swallowed, and can even be fatal. We hope that this article has helped to provide some clarity on the subject.

If you or someone you know swallow laundry detergent, it is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible.

You can learn more can you clean car seats with laundry detergent?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

About Us

You certainly can’t believe everything the Internet tells you. Kelvin David knows this better than anyone. A few years ago, Kelvin decided to try online shopping for the first time. He was looking for a new electric drill he could use on his daily work as a contractor.