Commonly, people associate blowtorches with heavy duties. For example, they’re commonly used for welding metals and melting tar. However, not all blowtorches are big and heavy like those used in the construction industry.
In the market, there’s a great variety of models and sizes of blowtorches. Each one with a different purpose. These gadgets are also useful for delicate purposes, like making jewelry and cooking.
With a blowtorch you can roast, caramelize and flambé like a professional chef. So, if cooking is your biggest passion, you certainly need one of these gadgets. In this article you’ll learn how to use a blowtorch for cooking as professionals do.
What is Blowtorch?
A blowtorch is a gadget commonly used to weld, melt, and burn different materials. Basically a blowtorch is a pressurized container filled with fuel. The gases come out through the nozzle and then burned. This generates a strong and stable flame.
In the past, people used blowtorches as lamps. However, over time they changed and were adapted to new purposes. Modern blowtorches can deliver fuel gases at very high pressures. Some models mix different gases to generate a much hotter flame.
Blowtorches used for cooking use butane as fuel. When burned in a well-ventilated place, butane produces carbon dioxide and water vapor. So, butane blowtorches aren’t dangerous to humans.
Reasons to Use Blowtorch to Cook
Below, you’ll find a list with all the benefits that you can get by using a blowtorch to cook.
Above all, blowtorches are safe. These gadgets have safety devices that allow sealing the gas flow. So, the torch won’t accidentally ignite while not in use. Also, you can easily control the flame size by turning a knob.
There are many different ways to use a blowtorch in your kitchen. For example, you can use it to light your stove or melt cheese. In the event of a blackout, you can use the flame light to safely move through dark areas.
Blowtorches are made with resistant materials such as aluminum and stainless steel. Also, they’re sturdy enough to withstand high impacts and temperature changes.
You don’t need a lot of money to have your own blowtorch. In fact, most of theses gadgets cost less than $20. Certainly, buying a new blowtorch is a lifetime investment, because they’re made to last forever.
Step by Step Guide to Use A Blowtorch for Cooking
Certainly, using a blowtorch for cooking is the easiest thing to do. To do it, you just need to follow these steps:
Refill the Fuel Tank
- First of all, remove the plastic cap that covers the nozzle of the butane refill canister.
- After that, put the blowtorch upside down to find the refilling hole.
- Then, insert the nozzle inside the hole, holding the canister in vertical position. Then, press the nozzle against the hole during 10 seconds.
- Finally, remove the nozzle from the hole.
Turn on the Blowtorch
- First of all, turn the knob that controls the gas flow to “ON” position. Usually, you can find this knob on the top of the nozzle.
- Then, set the flame to medium size. To do it, move the plastic tab at one side of the nozzle to the middle position.
- Finally, push the button behind the nozzle to turn on the flame.
Use Your Blowtorch for Cooking
- Hold the torch at 45-degrees. Don’t focus the flame on a single point for a long time to not burn the food.
- Then, move the flame in different directions so the food cooks evenly.
Certainly, you don’t need to be a chef to cook with a blowtorch. You just need to follow all the tips in this guide to prepare the best Crème Brulee. If you don’t have your own blowtorch, don’t wait any longer and buy one.
Certainly, blowtorches are more than just a kitchen tool. They can also work as a light source when there are no flashlights at home. In addition, you can use them to light a campfire on your outdoor trips. So, a blowtorch is also a survival tool.
Without a doubt, a blowtorch can be whatever you need it to be.