You can buy a towel warmer to heat up a towel at home, but it will cost a bit. Hence, a microwave can be a perfect alternative to the warmer. Now the question is – how to make a hot towel with a microwave?
To do that, either heat some water in the microwave and pour it on the towel, or directly microwave the towel. In each method, make sure to wear gloves and handle the hot towel carefully.
What if you don’t have a microwave but desperately need a hot towel? No worries, there are other ways too. To know them, keep reading this article till the end.
How to make hot towels at home?
Hot towels are not something lavish that can only be found in salons or spa centers. You can make them at your home anytime. Below are the methods of making hot towels.
Use the dryer
- Take your towel and spray plain water on it.
- Once the towel is slightly damp, put it into the dryer.
- Run the dryer on low heat, it may take a few minutes to heat the towel.
- Wait until the towel is dry.
- Pull it out and use it carefully since it may hurt you a little on an immediate use.
Use a tea kettle
- Fill your tea kettle with plain water and bring it to boil.
- During this time, fill a large spray bottle with plain water.
- Mix 1-2 drops of an aromatic oil in it and shake well.
- Fold your towel and place it in a large baking dish.
- Now spray the oil-infused water on the towel until it is saturated.
- By this time, the water on the stove must be boiling. Grab the kettle and carefully pour the hot water onto the towel.
- Leave the towel for a few minutes.
- After that, use a tong or a big spud to transfer the towel to another dry baking dish.
- Once it has cooled down a little, wring it out, and place it on the body area you want to use it.
Microwave the water
- Take a microwave-safe bowl or pan. It must be deep enough to soak the towel well.
- Place your towel on the bowl.
- If you want, you can pour a few drops of essential oil/s on the towel before placing it.
- Microwave 1 cup of water.
- When the water starts to boil, take it out, and wet the towel with it.
- Wait until it cools down a bit. Wring the towel out and use it.
(Note – Use eucalyptus, sandalwood, lavender, and rosemary essential oils to apply on the towel.)
Method 4 – Microwave the towel
- Pour a few drops of essential oil in the middle of the towel.
- Damp the towel well with normal/hot water.
- Wring the towel well so that it won’t drip in the microwave.
- Place the damp towel on a microwave-safe dish and heat it up for 30 seconds.
- Take it out of the microwave. Wait for a few minutes to cool the towel down before applying.
Method 5 – Use two towels
In case you want to apply a hot towel on sore skin, follow this method. You will need two hand towels in this method. Use a piece of clothing if you don’t have two towels.
- Wet one towel with water, wring it out, and fold it like a ball. Microwave it for 1 minute.
- Lay the dry towel flat, take the hot towel out.
- Fold it into a manageable shape, and place it on the dry towel.
- Now wrap the dry towel edges around the hot towel. Your hot towel is ready to use.
- Apply the hot towel on your sore area until it becomes cold.
Method 6 – Use the faucet
- Turn on the hot water faucet of your bathroom/kitchen sink and run your towel under it.
- Wring the towel and apply.
How do you do a hot towel treatment at home?
To do a salon-like hot towel treatment at home, follow the steps mentioned below.
Hot towel treatment for face
- Pour 3-5 drops of essential oil on the center of the towel. Rub it. Run the towel under a faucet.
- Wring it out, fold, and put it on a microwave-safe dish. Heat the towel for 20-40 seconds.
- Take it out, unfold, hold it in your hands, and place it on your face. Place the towel in a way that the center stays right under your chin.
- Now wrap the both sides of the towel around your face, leaving the nose free. Wait until the hot towel becomes cool, it may take 5-10 minutes.
- Finish the treatment by removing the towel and patting your face with a dry, soft hand towel.
Hot towel treatment for hair
Before you treat your hair with a hot towel, you need almond oil, castor oil, and coconut oil in equal quantities.
Mix them in a bowl. Apply the mixture from your scalp to the tips.
Boil water in a pan and dip your towel in it. Wring it out and wrap your hair with it. Tie your hair and wait 30 minutes.
Remove the towel and wash your hair with a mild shampoo. Do this twice a week.
How to warm a towel for baby?
Use a baby towel warmer to warm your baby’s towel (the one which has an attached hood). Fold the towel and place it in the warmer.
It will take a maximum 10 minutes to heat the towel. Once heated, the towel will stay warm for up to 20 minutes.
Your other option is to use an oven for the task. Place the baby towel on a baking pan and slide it in the oven. Set the oven in the warm mode and wait until the towel is perfectly toasty.
If you are not confident about handling the oven, use a heating pad. Keep the folded towel on the top of a heating pad.
Run the pad in a low setting. Make sure the area you are using the heating pad at is dry.
Can I microwave a bath towel?
Of course you can. Bath towels are bigger in size. And fitting them in a microwave-safe dish or running them under a hot faucet can be a hassle.
Therefore, use the first method from the previous section, the dryer method. A dryer can ensure your bath towel is hot in and out.
What temperature should a baby squirrel be?
The temperature will vary according to a baby squirrel’s physical condition. Furless babies need a constant temperature of 100°F. At the age of 4-10 weeks, they will gain some fur. So a temperature of 96° – 98°F is recommended then.
However, experienced squirrel owners suggest that 80 to 85 degrees on average is okay for baby squirrels with a little fur.
What happens if a baby squirrel gets too cold?
You will see changes in the baby squirrel’s gums and lips, which will turn grayish. The baby will be inactive, thin, curled up into a ball, and sensitive to touch.
How do you warm a towel without a towel warmer?
Use a microwave, hot water faucet, a hot water kettle, or a dryer to warm a towel. Besides, you can use a heating pad to warm up hand towels.
Can you heat up a rag in the microwave?
Yes, you can. Heating up a rag is the same as heating up a towel. Soak a cleaning rag, gently wring it out, and then microwave it for 30 seconds. Reheat the rag if it doesn’t not make any difference at the first time .
How warm does a baby squirrel need to be?
A baby squirrel’s body temperature is around the same as the human temperature, which is 96° – 101°F approximately. So create an environment that can deliver this temperature constantly. Make sure the baby’s temperature is at least 98 degrees before you feed it.
Knowing how to make a hot towel with microwave and other equipment will save your salon bills. In emergencies, when you can’t reach a doctor, a hot towel may decrease the pain temporarily.
Towels may be damaged if there is a special instruction and you didn’t read this before applying heat to them. You better check the towel label to see if there is any prerequisite.
Make sure that the towel has no metallic components attached to it before putting it in a dryer or microwave.
You can learn more how to remove towel rack from wall?