When remodeling your bathroom, you can convert shower curtain to glass as it will make the space look bigger. Glass doors in a small bathroom will not only enlarge the room, but also display the shower tiles as part of the decor.
Hence, if you’re ready to trade your hard shower curtains for a sleek glass door, the modern uplift will change the atmosphere of the entire space.
Your shower space will be more airy and easy to clean if you use soft water. And, although shower curtains have more options in terms of decorations and fabric, glass doors might be a better option for you if you’re ready to spend a reasonable amount of money.
Which is better, shower curtain or glass doors?
Whether you’re remodeling or completing your new bathroom, a shower curtain or glass doors is a topic you can’t escape. Both options are essential for keeping water off the bathroom. However, modern glass doors will make your bathroom space more attractive.
Besides, if you have seniors using it, shower curtain or glass doors for elderly might be baffling for you. The truth is that shower doors are more stable for elderly adults than shower curtains. However, before you decide on a shower curtain or glass door, here’s an in-depth look into both options.
Benefits of glass doors
No doubt that shower doors are superior to shower curtains in numerous ways. Shower doors are aesthetically pleasing and make your bathroom appear more spacious while imparting a sleek, modern appearance to the space.
Shower doors are in many styles, meaning there’s something for everyone’s taste. Moreover, they’re easy to clean, meaning it’s not easy for dirt or moisture to build up over time and result in molds or mildew.
In preventing water splashes to the floor, glass doors eliminate the issue, reducing cleanup time after showering. In addition, shower doors foil when you’re showering, keeping the steam in the shower and away from mirrors and other surfaces in the bathroom.
Benefits of shower curtains
Shower curtains have various benefits, from friendly prices to their primary purpose of making your shower moments private. Further, shower curtains might be more appealing than doors as they’re available in many colors or the novelty of your favorite book or band.
Shower curtains will do the trick if you want to soften the masculine decor commonly used in bathrooms. Some consumers love the stark lines and neutral colors in most bathrooms, while others prefer a feminine space. Thus, a bright shower curtain can quickly provide this effect.
Comparison Between Shower Curtains Vs. Shower Doors
|Shower Curtains||Shower Doors|
|Affordable||Expensive to install|
|Easy to draw||Enhance the space to appear larger|
|Neutralizes masculine colors||Easy to clean|
|Water can still splash onto the floor||Shows off tiles|
|It needs more attention when cleaning||Eliminates water splashing to the floor|
How can you replace a shower curtain with a glass door? (step by step)
You should replace a shower curtain with a glass door for various reasons, like an uplift to give your bathroom space a new look. Whatever your reasons are, here are steps to follow and make it successful.
- Most bathtub sizes are standard, meaning a regular tub door kit can suffice for almost any space. All you have to do is choose your preferred style and read the guidelines provided to ensure the adjustment range fits the opening of your bathtub measurements.
- If required, use a hacksaw to cut door tracks to match. Alternatively, you can use a chop saw to make quick cuts with a carbide blade.
- Clean the surrounding tub and make it dry. Begin by running a bead of silicone on the tub edge, then install the bottom door track.
- Place the side tracks in place and mark where to drill the holes. After marking, remove the side tracks and prepare the holes holding the anchors.
- Run a silicone sparingly in the middle of the side tracks, then screw them into place.
- Cut off the extra path to fit, and place it on the side tracks.
- Now hang the doors from the top track, ensuring the rollers are in the grooves.
- Position the door handles.
- Use filler (caulk) on the door frame edges to fill any open space on the sides to the bottom (inside and out). Don’t use the shower for 12 hours to allow the filer to dry up and hold.
How do you use a shower curtain as a window curtain?
Using your bathroom curtains for windows is easy, especially for shower curtains that look like window curtains. If you’re wondering where to take your bathroom curtains after uplifting your shower space, worry not. You can use shower curtains to cover a small bathroom shower curtain or door, and no one will realize their previous placement.
Although there are many curtain options in the market, you don’t have to dump your shower curtain after upgrading to a glass door. Window curtains are expensive, but you can save money by moving your waterproof curtains for the shower window instead of buying a new pair. This is advisable if you have many windows that need drapes, and here are the steps to follow.
- Wash your shower curtain and hang it dry. Once dry, iron it out if necessary.
- Lay the shower curtain on flat ground.
- Cut the curtain in half (lengthwise). This should be easy because the curtain is straight.
- Get your sewing kit, choose a thread that resembles the curtain, and hem the raw edge to make it neat.
- Use back stitches at the beginning and the end to prevent your stitches from running.
- Hang your new window drapes. The best part is that shower curtains are more expansive than typical window drapes, meaning their coverage will be better.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How often should shower curtains be replaced?
It would be best if you replace your shower curtain every six months. However, ensure that you spread the shower curtain to dry after each and use a white vinegar solution to wipe it occasionally to prevent mold and mildew growth.
Do frameless shower doors leak?
The doors of frameless showers are not prone to leaking. Although they have tiny gaps at the hinges as well as on the door sides, water can’t exit through these gaps if it’s not pressured water directed to the seams.
Can I use a shower curtain as a tablecloth?
You can use a shower curtain as a makeshift tablecloth. For instance, you can bring an old shower curtain during picnics to cover the tables or benches before use.
What is the average cost of frameless glass shower doors?
The average price of frameless glass shower doors cost between $500 to $3,000. Note that this amount isn’t inclusive of labor and installation, as different professionals will charge varying amounts for the service.
You can convert your shower curtain to glass during the uplift of your bathroom space to make it more sleek and modern. The price for both options will vary depending on aesthetics and the type of material you choose to use.
However, it’s undeniable that glass shower doors are more expensive than curtains. But, if your budget allows, you go for glass doors.
Go for it and enjoy your shower moments!